Point of interest
Swiss Alps Jungfrau-Aletsch

Hotel Belalp

The tourism pioneer Leopold Bürcher had recognized already early the uniqueness of the Belalp with the view to the Valais Alps and the Great Aletsch glacier: he constructed the Hotel Belalp with its extraordinary view on the glacier. In 1870 Gervas Klingele the co-owner and later sole owner built the extension in stone. The hospitable house appealed to mountaineers and summer visitors: an annex was built in 1885, which was demolished in 1999. Three generations of the family Klingele owned the hotel; in 1968, the family Jaeger-Eggel assumed the operation. Since 1993 it belongs to the citizenry Naters which renovated it completely in 1994 and extended it with a panoramic terrace in 2011. The first guests coming to the Belalp were mainly the British. Looking into an old travel guide shows what the guests attracted: "Hotel Belalp very recommended. The tour is still new, but in recent years has become a favorite route of mountain travelers who want to see amazing things with little discomfort." Also the construction of the Anglican chapel in 1883 / 1884 was tailored to the English clientele. Already then the desire of the clientele was not solely peace and spirituality, a tennis court was established in the 1920s near to the hotel.