Nowhere in the world are the phenomena of mountain formation more visible than in the border area of the cantons of St. Gallen, Glarus and Graubünden. The 84-km Sardona World Heritage Trail (SwitzerlandMobility route no. 73) leads you to the Kerenzerberg along the Mürtschenstock, the Murg lakes, the Mühlebachtal, the Flumserberg, the karst area near the Schilsquelle, the fossil sites between Schönbühl -, Fanser - and Laui-Fürggli, the original Weisstannen - and the Calfeisental, the Heubützli - and the Foopass as well as the area around the Tschingelhörner between Elm and Flims.
This unique long-distance hike consists of 6 stages:
Stage 1: Filzbach - Murgsee
- From the mountain station of the Filzbach cableways (Habergschwänd) to Talalpsee, six information boards provide information on the geophenomena. This stage, including the 3-lake hike, leads past Lake Spanegg over the Mürtschenfurggel and Murgseefurggel and continues to Lake Murg.
Stage 2: Murgsee - Spitzmeilenhütte
- The second stage leads from the Verrucano landscape, shaped by glaciers and reminiscent of Scandinavia, to the grassy sunny slopes in the Mülibachtal, a valley in Glarus, and on past the Lias folds on Magerrain and the gypsum phenomena on Wissmeilen.
Stage 3: Spitzmeilenhütte - Weisstannen
- This stage leads from the modern Spitzmeilen hut with magnificent views of the Churfirsten/Alvier group through the colourful Triassic landscape of the Fans plateau. The view over the Chammseeli to the Triassic sequence on the Schnüerligrat is fascinating.
Stage 4: Weisstannen - Sardonnahütte
- From the former Walser settlement Weisstannen through the wild Flyschtal Lavtina to the 4-waterfall basin Batöni. From the Heidelpass to the stage destination, the view sweeps across the Glarus thrust between Ringelspitz and Piz Sardona.
Stage 5: Sardonahütte - Elm
- After an overnight stay in the middle of the Sardona tectonic arena, through untouched mountainous landscapes to the Foopass, accompanied by the Glarus thrust on the Foostock. The descent to Elm takes place with a wonderful panorama of Glarus in front of your eyes.
Stage 6: Sardonahütte- Flims
- After the Wakker Prize village of Elm, the nearby Tschingelhoren with the Martinsloch fascinate on the tour over the Pass dil Segnas. On the descent, after the alluvial and moorland landscape of Segnasboden, the landscape is increasingly shaped by the Flims landslide