Connected to the western part of Castel Grande, the Murata (defensive wall) completely blocked the Ticino valley, guaranteeing the Duchy of Milan control of numerous Alpine passes.
Although the origins of this mighty wall are not precisely documented, it is likely that an initial barrier wall was erected in the aftermath of the Visconti conquest of Bellinzona Castle in 1340. However, it was only during the 1480s, during the Sforza era, that the Murata was significantly reinforced and expanded in light of the Confederation's growing expansionist ambitions. With the construction of a second wall, the complex was doubled in size, creating the two passages that can still be seen today: one covered, about 4 metres high, and the other in the form of an upper external walkway, equipped with battlements and machicolations (openings for striking enemies from above).
In addition to being a structure designed for defence and observation of the territory, the Murata – with its gate – was also an important place for checking goods in transit to Bellinzona and other regional fairs. In the 15th century, the Murata had its own castellan, who ensured – not always successfully – that the walls were not crossed for military or smuggling purposes.
In 1489, Duke Ludovico Sforza ordered the construction of a bridge – also known as Ponte della Torretta – with the aim of further securing the valley from Castel Grande to the right bank of the Ticino River. This imposing fortified system, approximately 800 metres long, was severely damaged by the flooding of the Ticino River in May 1515, also known as the “buzza di Biasca”, which destroyed the bridge and a 150-metre section of the Murata itself.