Several Swiss living traditions are part of UNESCO's Intangible Cultural Heritage. These elements are practices, expressions, knowledge and skills that communities, groups and sometimes individuals recognise as part of their cultural heritage: the value of these elements must therefore be explained in order to ensure the long-term preservation of these centuries-old traditions.
Below are the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage elements present in Switzerland:
- Holy Week Processions in Mendrisio
- Vevey Winegrowers' Festival
- Basel Carnival
- Avalanche risk management
- Craftsmanship in watchmaking and art mechanics
- Dry stone wall construction